End of School- 5 Tips for Staying Focused
Summer is nearing, which means school is coming to an end. There is so much excitement happening from the simplicity of warmer weather to the complexity of prom, graduation, and prepping for college. Whether you have a student or you are the student, here are 5 tips for staying focused.
1. Get Organized. Believe it or not, being organized is key when it comes to being productive. Not only is it easier to find things you need when you need them, but it also increases your performance. You can get organized by decluttering book bags and backpacks, effeciently using notebooks, and storing loose paper in categorized folders.
It's also unneccessary to keep tons of pens and pencils on hand. If anything, it just causes more clutter and makes them easier to use. Instead, try limiting them to two. (One for backup in case the other one goes out).
2. Set Schedules. Schedules work wonders when they are well thought out and there is commitment to sticking to them. Make the schedule realistic according to level of education and how much homework needs to be done. For example, a grade school student may only need an hour a night to do homework as opposed to a college student who may need a few hours.
3. Be Consistent. This step is very important in order to be successful. Don't allow your student (or yourself) to have a "day off" or a "free day" if there is work that needs to be done. Instead, put time aside for a free day as you're setting the schedule. For example, if all homework gets done during the week, then the weekends can be rest days. Or schedule a rest day every few days if timelines allow.
4. Eliminate Distractions. We all get distracted from time to time, but it's crutial that we keep them to a bare minimum. This is especially true when we're trying to be productive. Put electronic devices away to keep away from games, social media, and texting. If the internet is needed in order to complete the work, try to stick to only the websites that are necessary until the work is complete.
5. Sleep. This step is probably most favorable of the five. Getting proper sleep allows for the body and mind to be re-energized and re-focused. There's nothing more difficult than trying to accomplish a project when all you can think about is the pillow on your bed. If it's hard to find time for sleep, consider adjusting your schedule to make time for it- it's that important.
Do you have a tip for how you stay focused at the end of the school year? If so, comment below! I'd love to hear from you.