6 New Year's Resolutions for Your Home
This time every year most of us make plans to do something in the New Year to make us feel better whether it’s exercising more, getting our finances under control, or taking a vacation. How many of us think about New Year’s resolutions for our homes?
I have come up with 6 that you can put in place in 2016. To keep it from getting overwhelming, try doing one every other month.
1. Clean out your closets. Many of us are guilty of purchasing new things and failing to get rid of the old stuff resulting in an accumulation of a bunch of things we don’t necessarily need anymore. Focus on your closets and getting them cleared out. Toss out old clothes and things you’ve forgotten about (you’ve forgotten them for a reason.)
2. Give your home a deep cleaning. This one can and should be done more than once a year, but let’s face it, time goes by so fast we hardly notice that we haven’t done it. Put some time aside to really get down and dirty and give everything a good scrub.
3. Freshen up your paint. Take a look at the rooms in your house and decide if they could use a fresh layer of paint. It’ll make your home look nice and give you a good feel about it, too! If you don’t need new paint, consider adding or changing your accent wall.
4. Tidy up the yard. This will most likely be done once all the snow has melted and warmer weather rolls in. Keep the outside of your home looking nice by keeping it maintained. Also keep in mind that even though it’s cold outside, it shouldn’t be completely neglected.
5. Buy or make new décor. Give the interior of your home a new look by changing out pillows, curtains, wall décor, and area rugs. Choose a theme and work around it. If you’re into this kind of thing, it can be really fun!
6. Rearrange your home. If you spend a day moving things around, it’ll feel like a new house when you come home. For those of you with children who have separate rooms, consider switching their rooms if they’ve become bored with their own.
Even though all of these won’t be ideal for everyone, choose at least one and run with it.
What’s one New Year’s resolution you’re going to make for your home in 2016?